Monday, January 29, 2018

heroic love

About 30 years back, I told her, "I love you."

"Have I done anything to deserve that?" she asked.

"No," I replied.

"You know that I love another guy, right?" she asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Ah!"

"Ah."

"So, are we done with that?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean...are you going to put this under unrequited love, write idiotic poems, get drunk..."

"I don't drink," I interrupted.

She continued, "...tell your grandkids some 30 years from now about a long lost love?"

"Maybe..."

She glared.

I grinned.

"Can we get back to the debate topic?" she said.

"Ok," I said. "How are we going to speak against bravery awards and customs honouring heroism?"

"Heroism is a fictitious idea created by ingenious cowards who want to benefit from the foolish acts of a few," she declared.

"Like love?" I asked.

She thought for a while. "Like love."

"I don't think we should put it that way," I said.

"Won't work?" she asked.

"We might get lynched," I said.

"Hmmm..."

After some time she asked, "By the way, with regard to that declaration of love..."

"Yes...?" I said hopefully.

"When was the last time you said that?" she asked.

"About 3 months back," I admitted.

"Got the same response?" she asked.

"Of course."

"One of these days, some fool is going to spoil your act," she said.

I smiled.

I met her recently. She has grandkids.

"Have you told them about your long lost love?" I asked.

She looked at me blankly.


No comments :

Post a Comment