Saturday, August 6, 2011

Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo : August 6, 2011


Do you understand economics or politics? I don’t. So, help me.

US debt ceiling fiasco: Why did Obama allow the Opposition (the Republicans) to dictate terms? Till a few days back, I did think that they have a mature political system which allows for bipartisan deals. I do not know the finer details of the plan but a deficit reduction plan during a global crisis/recession which asks for cuts in spending without revenue generation via taxes or job creation seems like a stupid plan. The only silver lining for that dark cloud seems to be that the rich might escape taxes but the same might face wealth erosion via tanking stock markets and S&P’s downgrade of US from AAA to AA+. Obama could have used the power of his office to do much more. Why did he choose not to do so? For a layman like me, it seems to be that he has elections in mind, rather than economics. I bet he is going to use some version of “Mommy, those guys made me do it…”


PM and the Lokpal Bill: I am waiting for August 16. Most probably, Anna Hazare (and, hopefully, his supporters, too) will start a fast-unto-death-or-whatever on that day. I will be studying how the story develops or fades in the media. Day one – front page, few columns; day two – front page, one column; day three onwards – inside pages, I suppose…I am not really interested in the views of the political parties. There are three types of political opinions, I think. One, the government (and some other parties with a PM-hopeful) will try to keep the PM out of the Bill (I do not trust this select group of people in the Lokpal with such an easy way to destabilize a government or, at least, an easy way to help the media create confusion and instability; and, I am quite satisfied with the existing ways to go after the PM). Two, there are political parties (who never did anything regarding the Bill when they were in power) that claim that they want the PM to be included in the Bill but they know that the government will not call their bluff. Three, there are political parties who will climb onto some moral high horse knowing that they will never have a PM from their ranks. Have I understood the politics correctly?


I would love to think more about these topics. But, this weekend, there is a bigger crisis in my life: I have to visit my mother-in-law. I think Oscar Wilde claimed that a man’s failure is that he wants his wife to be like his mother and his wife’s failure is that she turns out to be like her mother. I do not agree and I do think that that is Wilde’s feminine side doing the claiming. The last thing any man wants is for his wife to be like his mother – that is his wife’s assumption about what he wants; he obviously wants much more than that. And thankfully, in my wife’s case, genes mutated sufficiently and she is not like her mother either. I know that I will be fighting with my mother-in-law this weekend. She will poke at my many failures. I have already chosen my mode of attack. She was a Chief-something in the government before retirement. A few months before her retirement, she was sent abroad for training or to study new methods or whatever. Why did the government waste the money on her since she was close to retirement? Why did she accept that wasteful perk? See, I have my questions ready for her. Some guys (like those two-dimensional fools in ZNMD) go to Spain to experience danger via bulls. Some guys (like me) go to their mother-in-law’s house.

8 comments :

  1. Hi Nonentities..

    All the best for ur sword fight bro.. A very nice insight on the current affairs.. U post reminds me of wat my grandpa says, "Athonnum nadakan ponnila ista.." (Nothing is going to happen..) anyway keep writing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KP,

    Enthu kondu, mashe? :)

    Do you want it to happen? On the US front, I do hope Obama starts acting tough. On the India front, I want the democratic system to prevail and I want the existing systems to be improved rather than have new untested systems brought out by a select few.

    What are your views?

    Hey, thanks a lot for being here...

    Best wishes,
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am not sure..!
    In US front I agree with u..
    But with India, have we not gone through a lot and some thing new.. like an uprising all other the country is vital now.. It is not like sweeping a floor, where in we clean the whole place.. It is like finding the place that needs most change and doing it.. any improvement as such needs a lot of money rite.. and for that bringing out the black money and reducing corruption is required.. I am not very good or knowledged at current politics..
    And when I see people fasting and all.. I get the second thought, like is this really for country or for "Politics"..
    See that is the issue, we are not able to believe any one.. coz of the bad experiences, it confuses people and they dont want to act..

    Really sorry if this looks stupid but this is wat i felt exactly.. I know I havent reached any where..

    Ennalum manasil aayo??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mashe, kalakki !!! Manasilayi...:)))

    KP, you have said it well...especially "I get the second thought, like is this really for country or for "Politics".."

    I have very little understanding of politics or economics.

    As a layman, I understand that these are tough times. India is kind of OK compared to Europe with regard to economic problems. But at the time of the last elections, people wanted this Govt to go ahead with its plans to let India grow. But the Govt has stalled and we have lost a lot of time.

    In these tough times, is corruption really the main issue? Should it stall Parliament or the Govt? After all, the Supreme Court is looking into most of the cases...can't we wait?

    I am terribly uncomfortable with elite teams to check corruption. Can't they be corrupted?

    I do have faith in the existing systems. But we lack the energy to improve them, I feel. It is always to start something new rather than take an existing system to newer and higher levels...

    Ithu manasil aayo?

    Hey, great to talk to you...thx a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Arjun..

    Good morning..!

    Manasil aayi.. pakshe..

    Economic crisis.. yep.. I understand that another crisis is on its way now.. and the government should be concerned to mainly think on one thing, "Can I sleep during the strom.." its not by a "I don’t care attitude.." it should be something like "I have taken precautions and we will be safe through out the storm.." like Noah.. :)

    But don’t you think that spectrum.. 2G.. Common wealth.. and so are just mere under currents of some thing huge and terrible.. we lost millions and millions.. rite? that which could have been used for the GROWTH! which you said..

    We host a part of common wealth games and this is the situation.. think of what we do if we host Olympics?? Do u dare to think? I don’t..
    These wild rivers need to be checked... by a big DAM.. that is what I think..!

    Ithinu yendu parayum??

    KP...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hullo KP:

    Excellent points!

    This morning, I was reading in Tehelka an interview with Aruna Roy and her suggestions for a proper Jan Lokpal Bill. I think I agree with everything she has said. Have you seen that copy of Tehelka?

    You are absolutely right about corruption being a big issue. My view is that the Parliament should function properly. As I see it, nearly everyone including the Government and the masses are satisfied with hype.

    Corruption is a HUGE problem and certainly affects more Indians than the global economic crisis. My point is that a Parliament session or a Government's function is not just about a single issue.

    These are problems which should be tackled maturely and it should be done in parallel.

    It is true they had a session or two about price rise. What else did they discuss about ensuring India's growth story or going ahead with reforms?

    As I see it, the Government has been in suspended animation for the last two years. That is not a good situation.

    Yesterday's session was disrupted because some party's supporters got lathi-charged. Irrespective of its correctness, is that being fair to the Indian masses?

    Let us admit that lots of cases are going in the Supreme Court involving high-profile cases. Let us at least ensure that those cases reach the proper conclusion rather than lose steam as and when the media and the Opposition decides that it is not profitable.

    Each time the CAG presents a report, let us not follow some newspaper headlines and disrupt procedure. Follow due process, check the report and the numbers, make sure the culprits end up in jail. But, sensationalism seems to be the flavour of the hour - and that is just cheap politics, I think.

    Those wild rivers need to be checked...certainly by a big DAM...but make sure that that monstrous DAM does not create more problems than solves problems...

    Have I confused you totally? :))) Hope not...

    Njan paranjathil enthenkilum sense undo? :)

    It is great to talk to you, KP...

    Take care
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ente kaienu poi mashe.. but still ei weekend naanai reserch chethitu parayam.. ok?
    Pinne nanni onnum venda..
    U write well so I visit that is all.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shari mashe, KP...:)))

    Have a great long weekend !!!

    ReplyDelete